Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Five Guys Burgers and Fries: Exclusive Review

I had the privilege of spotting out a Five Guys to my surprise in Hoboken, New Jersey on Saturday. This is the first review outside of Buffalo and I’m writing this up because Five Guys might come soon to Buffalo for our lunch consumers. I wasn’t expecting to see one when I was in New Jersey and I didn’t even look it up to see if there would be any in the area. It was a lunch meal, but this was during the mid-afternoon.

Thanks to our Rochester friend at work, I was walking on the opposite side of the street and I saw this place and remembered he was always talking about how Buffalo doesn't have one and how Rochester does. I contacted him right away by cell phone and he told me to eat there! How could I pass up this opportunity even on a full stomach?

On the way back down the street, I stopped into Five Guys for the first time ever and went straight to the counter. This place almost looked like a normal fast food hamburger joint, but it wasn’t. It smelled great and looked clean when we walked in. I asked if there were any lunch specials, deals, or combos and unfortunately there weren’t any. The menu is actually very basic and doesn't offer milkshakes. I ordered the Cheeseburger which was $5.99. For that price, I could tell right away this wasn’t going to be your average burger. They asked what I wanted on it and I am glad they did. On their menu above, there were options to pick from. I picked out jalapenos, lettuce, mayo, tomato, ketchup, mustard, and their hot sauce. We also got a French fry which was $2.99. We ended up waiting a while, more so than a fast food place, but boy was it amazing.

They put the food in a bag and the fries were everywhere. The fries were placed in a tall drinking cup and scattered around in the bag. They were thick and long but not as thick as steak fries. They weren't too hot so you aren’t eating with your mouth open to get some air. All the food was warm at the right temperature. At some places, the fries are dry and need condiments. These fries, however, were different. They were better than all the fast food restaurant places and even some regular restaurants. Not only were the French fries on top of their game, but this Cheeseburger was fantastic. It had two patties and it was about two or three times the size as a Big Mac. There were so many flavors going inside my mouth and words of excitement flowing out after each bite. Nothing spilled outside my burger and it was perfectly layered without overdoing it. It was so incredibly juicy and moist without having that greasy taste. The hot sauce indeed had flavor and appropriate hot levels that were very satisfying as well as everything else was.

Our Rochester friend was right. It would be worth leaving work early to drive to and come back with the food for lunch. It is that great of a lunch meal and you won’t feel sick to your stomach afterwards like what some fast food places can do to you. The only knocks on this place are maybe the cost and no specials so you have to buy your drinks and other items separately. Hopefully, the rumors are true and Five Guys will be opening places around Buffalo this year. It was probably the best burger and fries meal I’ve had this entire year and it made our vacation slightly better.

Final Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Five Guys Hoboken
www.fiveguys.com
319 Washington Street
Hoboken, NJ 07030
(201) 683-3273

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That food is dirt cheap for that area.. You must remember when in Rome.. So the cost should not be a factor..

Anonymous said...

this place looks great, can you give me directions from downtown Buffalo!?